Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Rule of Three by Eric Walters

17934467

I'm fairly new to Eric Walters.  He was scheduled to speak at my school last year so I thought I better read a book before he came.  Well now that I've started I just can't stop!  I can see why the kids at school are constantly taking his books.  And if you ever get a chance to hear him speak - go!  He was so engaging with the kids - and teachers.


So I was going to lay off and not read another Eric Walters for a bit but The Rule of Three came out and I heard it was his best yet.  How could I not read and decide if that was true.  It is true!  It was fantastic!  

The story appears to be set in a Toronto suburb.  The story begins with some high school kids working on an assignment in the computer lab at school when suddenly the power goes out.  Strangely though the laptops aren't working even though they had a charged battery.  Then quickly they discover their cell phones aren't working and when they get to the parking lot most people's cars aren't working either, with the exception of some old clunkers.  Nothing with any sort of computer is functioning.  How long will the outage last?  How many people are affected by the outage?  The Rule of Three is a real page turner.  Kept me flipping.  Tons of action.  A twist of a love story.  I loved it.

I'm now doing this as a read aloud with the grade 8's at school and they love it.  They're begging for extra library periods!!  I can't wait for the Fight for Power to be released in January 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment